lunes, 25 de enero de 2010

Un otro dia (another day)

Well this week has definitely had its share of events and experiences. For one: I had a few major breakthroughs concerning the Spanish language. To create pity (and to advance concern to my plight) allow me to demonstrate a few of the problems that the Spanish language presents to the average American learner:

-two tenses for the events in the past
-two different words for "for"
-two verbs for "to be"
-a plethora of verbs that are irregular

for example:

If I want to say something as simple as "to talk" in Spanish, these are the things I need to consider:

Present Tense:

Hablo (I talk)
Hablas (you talk)
Hablain (y'all talk)
Hablamo (we talk)
Hablaman (then talk)
Habla (he talks)

Past tense (1) situations that have happened

Hablo (I talked)
Hablaste (you talked)
Hablaies (y'all talked)
Hablamos (we talked)
Hablaron (they talked)
Hable (he talked)

Past tense (2) situations that occured in the past over time

Hablaba (I talked)
Hablabas ( you talked)
Hablabaies (y'all talked)
Hablabamos (we talked)
Hablaman (they talked)
Hablaba (he talked)

And there are also different verb forms for future tense, conditional tense, subjunctive tense. Hablar (to talk) is an example of a verb that is not irregular. I would like to consider 40% of verbs to have a completely different way of working than the described methods above. It is difficult :D.

However, when I am not attempting to "master' this language, I am attempting to simply have a good time. During the afternoons I enjoy Coca Cola (or beer) and a delicious "tapas" (a complimentary meal that comes with the drink: a sandwich, olives, fruit). I go to class, I hang out with Americans and Spaniards alike (this past weekend I journeyed with a group of Spaniards to a very ancient university), and I give myself necessary "meditation" time.

Tomorrow I will be meeting with the parents of two Spanish children that I will be (trying) teaching English to this semester. Also I have an "intercambio" (exchange) student. He is from Turkey; he wants to learn English and I want to learn Spanish. We basically learn from eachother in our own domestic languages.

Well, that is all for now. Thank you for reading! Have good day/night/afternoon and peace be with you!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario